Home Shtetl Life Holocaust Landsmanshaftn History Photos Videos
Maps Trips Surnames Researchers Links Guest Book Contact

Treblinka Extermination Camp

Treblinka was only 53 miles SSW of Radzilow. Residents of many towns from this part of northeast Poland (including Radzilow) were murdered in Treblinka, including some who had fled Radzilow prior to the barn burning on July 7, 1941.

Some Radzilow residents who managed to hide during the pogrom of July 7, 1941, were thereafter captured and sent to the Bogusze Transit Camp (19.7 miles N of Radzilow). When Bogusze was liquidated in December 1942, all the Jews were sent to Treblinka and Auschwitz.

Radzilow Stone at Treblinka


Treblinka Sign

Entrance to Treblinka Memorial

Entrance to Treblinka Memorial

"Never Again"

The Radzilow Stone Memorial

Valley of Stones

Amy Hale placing a stone on
the Radzilow Memorial

Ben Hale placing a stone on
the Radzilow Memorial

Photos courtesy of Amy and Ben Hale, 2002.
View photos of their trip to Radzilow


Town Sign

Treblinka Sign

Treblinka Sign

Memorial Stones
Lined up in different languages

English Memorial Stone

Stones symbolically
representing railroad tracks

Railroad tracks leading to camp
from outside of town

Town right outside of the camp

Photos courtesy of Jan Meisels Allen, 2001.
More photos of Treblinka at the Sochaczew Yizkor Book Site


Signs at Treblinka
Treblinka actually consisted of two camps. The first was a labor camp built by the Nazis in 1941, housing about 20,000 political prisoners, mostly Poles. (About half of the prisoners of Treblinka I died in the camp.) In 1942, the Nazis added a second camp, the now-infamous Treblinka Extermination Camp. Treblinka II was not an Auschwitz-style "concentration camp," no prisoners lived here, they were sent here only to die. Perhaps 800,000 Jews were murdered at Treblinka in a little less than
a year and a half.

Map of Treblinka
The Nazis demolished the extermination camp before they abandoned Treblinka in late 1943 - although some remnants of the labor camp still exist, nothing remains of the extermination camp. This sign includes a map that shows how the camp was laid out.

Treblinka Monument
It stands where the gas chambers of the extermination camp once stood. It is surrounded by a forest of stones, symbolically representing each of the
communities and nations that lost Jews in the camp. The memorial includes 17,000 stones, which represents the number of people who were murdered each day when the camp was in full "production."

Treblinka "Station"
This symbolic row of stone "railroad ties" traces the path of the tracks that ended at the Treblinka Extermination Camp.

"Burning Pit" Memorial
Blackened mass of basalt marks
the location of the pit in which
bodies were burned.

Photos and comments courtesy of Hank Mishkoff, 1999.
More photos of Hank's trip to northeast Poland

Location of Treblinka depicted by "star"

   Return to Holocaust Section; Return to Photos